If there is one thing marijuana is known for, it’s for its ability to put you to sleep. However, not all strains were created equal in this regard, as some strains are more effective in treating sleep problems than others.
If you’re going to try to get a better night’s sleep while high, you’ll need to pick cannabis strains with the right blend and consume it at the right time to really experience its sleepytime benefits.
Certain marijuana strains have a unique chemical profile that’s specially made to make you feel ultimately relaxed and fall asleep faster. These are the best strains you can take to get that shut-eye you deserve.
1. Grape Ape
The Grape Ape is a result of a three-way between Mendocino Purps, Skunk #1, and Afghani Iandrace. Fans of fruity strains will enjoy this indica dominant hybrid as it comes in a delicious grape taste. It gives you a euphoric high at the onset but later leaves you feeling deeply relaxed and mellow, perfect for curling up into a peaceful slumber. A few puffs of the Grape Ape just an hour before bedtime should help get the job done.
2. Blue Dream
Don’t be fooled by this sativa dominant hybrid. Though sativa is more known for its uplifting and energizing effects, the Blue Dream is a bit different since it perfectly blends Blueberry Indica and Sativa Haze making it a versatile strain to use for day and night.
Since we’re talking about marijuana strains for sleep here, the Blue Dream can help you relieve stress and pain without the heavy sedation. Its THC content ranges from 13% to 21% so it’s perfect for both experienced users and first-timers. Whatever your level of experience may be for smoking marijuana, the Blue Dream can give you that feeling of euphoria and relaxation needed for a long night of sleep.
3. MK Ultra
The MK Ultra is an award-winning strain guaranteed to make you feel relaxed and fall asleep. The baby of OG Kush and G-13, MK Ultra is an incredibly potent strain that not only taste delicious but works effectively as a sleep aid due to its sedative properties.
It has a delightful flavor of fruit and citrus with hints of spices and a flowery taste. Too many words to describe? Try it yourself. Be careful though as the MK ultra promotes laziness and couchlock. Just take a few puffs of this one the evening and you should be good to go.
4. Cookies and Cream
A balanced cannabis hybrid with a tasty blend Unknown Girl Scout Cookies and Starfighter is Cookies and Cream. This strain has a strong taste of vanilla, nuts, earth and butter perfect to consume in the evening right as you’re heading to snoozeville.
If you’re an experienced marijuana smoker, Cookies and Cream is the perfect choice as it’s high in THC levels (26%) that makes you feel really good in the beginning followed by a strong mind-body relaxation. For people suffering from chronic pain that makes it hard to sleep, Cookies and Cream is also ideal since it’s known to help with pain and nausea.
Some tips to keep in mind before smoking these marijuana strains for sleep.
- Use marijuana responsibly. Smoking marijuana for sleep should be approached with caution. It’s okay to use once in awhile when you know you’re gonna have a hard time sleeping but it’s best to not rely in it when you know you’re going to fall asleep easily anyway.
Studies indicate that the marijuana’s positive effect on sleep wane overtime and that compared to non-daily users, those who smoked marijuana every night for sleep had a higher rate of insomnia
- Go slow. A little marijuana goes a long way. Make sure to start with just a few puffs as overdoing it could lead to you feeling excitable which is the opposite of what you want.
If you wake up in the middle of the night, it’s okay to take a few puffs but try to avoid redosing four hours before you need to wake up. Certain strains can affect you longer and cause you to feel groggy the next day.
- Timing is important. Depending on the strain you’re taking, be sure to take marijuana at the right times in the evening. Certain strains like those dominant in indica can be taken an hour before bedtime while strains dominant in sativa can be taken in the evening. Remember that marijuana’s effects last about 3 to 4 hours so you want to time your consumption during hours when it’s at its peak effect.
- Watch your anxiety. Although marijuana is known for helping with anxiety, some strains can actually make it worse. Make sure to do your research ahead of time before picking your strains.
Most of the stains we listed here can help you get good sleep without worsening your anxiety but be sure to take it moderately. We all have different physiologies and doses that work for others may not work for you. It helps to experiment by starting slow to see how much it takes to get you to get to that relaxing state.
- Drink plenty of water. Marijuana often leaves you with cotton mouth and dry eyes which can get quite bothersome as you try to sleep. To ensure that you fall into peaceful slumber, drink plenty of water before bed. This keeps you from feeling generally dried out all night helping you sleep better.
- Environment is key. Sure, these strains will put you to bed but not if your music is on full blast or you’re glued to your phone as you lie in bed. You want to make sleep as easy as possible with marijuana as your aid so be sure to create an environment where it’s easy to relax. This means putting all gadgets away before bed, turning off the lights, listening to relaxing music, taking a whiff of essential oils like lavender. Whatever works for you, do it!
We hope you take these recommendations into consideration the next time you find yourself tossing and turning in bed. Many of these strains are strong so be sure to take moderately. A little puff here and then before bed goes a long way in getting that much needed rest.
Stay safe and smoke responsibly!