Worries Grow Over Mandatory Minimum Sentences for Drug Offences

Canada’s public prosecutors are bracing for an onslaught of new trials as mandatory minimum sentences for drug offences come into effect – adding pressure to a system they say is already overburdened.

The tougher sentences, which came into force last week, are meant to address “serious, organized drug crime” and range from a minimum jail term of six months for growing six or more marijuana plants to at least three years behind bars for running a potentially dangerous methamphetamine lab in a residential neighbourhood.

The government says the stiffer sentences will help clamp down on gangs and organized crime. But prosecutors say they could cause serious delays as those who might have previously pleaded guilty in exchange for a lesser sentence opt for a full trial instead.

“If you take away the ability of a prosecutor to plea bargain some of these cases out and try to triage some of them through the court system, that alone will increase the amount of trials that we have,” said Rick Woodburn, president of the Canadian Association of Crown Counsel. “It ties our hands, effectively.”

The effects of the mandatory minimum sentences could be particularly problematic, Mr. Woodburn said, because the country’s court system is already being strained by a spike in larger and more complicated criminal cases.

The number of “complex” and “mega” files handled by federal prosecutors increased by more than 47 per cent over the past four years, according to a performance report published last week by the Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC).

“It’s almost a double whammy,” said Lisa Blais, president of the Association of Justice Counsel, the union that represents prosecutors. “You have more complex cases combined with also more volume of cases and I think that’s a very dangerous recipe for the right to a speedy trial.”

The report notes that the PPSC has set aside $6.5-million to deal with the projected impact of the new minimum drug sentences during the first year they are in effect. The department did not respond to requests for comment Monday, which was a holiday for federal public servants.

Ms. Blais said she has “grave concerns” that the money won’t be adequate to keep the country’s courts running on schedule, adding that the public prosecution service already made significant cuts to comply with federal budget requirements.

“I’m not confident that it will be enough. The $6-million, I don’t even think will assist us to get us to the levels we needed to be [at]before the minimum mandatory sentences came into play,” she said. “We were already doing more with less.”

– Read the entire article at The Globe and Mail.

Comments

1 Comment

  1. CanadianGiant on

    Its the Federal Prosecutors of Canada who seized my home and vowed to sell it if i lose my cannabis charges.They also told me they don,t care if i have a Health Canada medical cannabis lisence, because they are going to take my home anyways , and they said if i die before my charges are heard, they will sue my next of kin, for my home.What a bunch of bastards.You can thank Harper for this mess and his Bill C-10. Free Marc Emery.