On March 28th the San Diego City Council will be voting on an ordinance that will serve as a de-facto ban on medical cannabis facilities in the City of San Diego. If passed as currently written, this unduly restrictive ordinance would threaten the quality of life for some of the most vulnerable members of our community and would deny safe access for thousands of patients in the city.
In order to oppose the ordinance Canvass for a Cause and the San Diego Chapter of Americans for Safe Access have launched a coalition campaign to educate the public of the impending ban and mobilize grassroots opposition to the ban.
In the last three weeks the campaign has generated over 1,500 letters of opposition from constituents in the City of San Diego and has brought together a coalition of over twenty local and national organizations united in opposition to this ordinance!
The campaign has mobilized hundreds of patients and concerned citizens by organizing the medical cannabis facilities, employing well trained professional canvassers, and leading a traditional volunteer driven political effort giving the people a unique opportunity to voice their opposition to this ban.
Our campaign is educating the public to generate massive quantities of constituents’ communications to the city council members, urging them to amend the ordinance and approve an ordinance that guarantees safe access and reflects the needs of the community.
Coalition Partners List
- American Medical Marijuana Association
- A New PATH – www.anewpathsite.org
- Americans for Safe Access (ASA) – www.safeaccessnow.org
- Association of Clinical Dispensaries (ACD)
- California Council of Churches – www.calchurches.org
- California NORML – www.canorml.org
- Canvass for a Cause – www.canvassforacause.org
- Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) – www.drugpolicy.org
- Green Freedom Law Group – http://melissabobrow.com/
- Ideal Choice Insurance
- Kim Twolan – San Diego Medical Marijuana Task Force (MMTF)
- Larry Sweet – San Diego Medical Marijuana Task Force (MMTF)
- Lavender Lens – http://sdgln.com/lavender-lens
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) – www.leap.cc
- Law Offices of Kimberly R. Simms – www.simmslaw.com/
- Legal Cannabis Institute (LCI) – www.lcitraining.com
- Mothers Against Prohibition
- NUG Magazine – www.nugmag.com
- San Diego County Community Coalition – www.meetup.com/SDCommunityCoalition/
- San Diego Renters Union – www.sandiegorentersunion.org
- Students for Sensible Drug Policy – SSDP – www.ssdp.org/
- The Interfaith Drug Policy Initiative – www.idpi.us
- Veterans for Medical Marijuana Access – www.veteransformedicalmarijuana.org
The coalition will be holding a press conference on March 8th 2011 at 11am at the San Diego City Hall where members of the coalition will be addressing the press and making themselves available for questions.
The campaign will also be holding a rally on the 28th of March! The rally will start at the Federal Courthouse located at 940 Front St. San Diego CA, 92101 at 12noon and will end at the San Diego City Hall at 202 C St. at 1:30pm when everyone will go up to the City Council Meeting to speak against the proposed ordinance at 2pm.