The subtle smell of Ozone

Glass jars are bastardized with writing, ridges, unconventional shapes and variable thickness as
opposed to a flat smooth plane. This can create hot spots with subsequent breakage of the jar and
a fire hazard. I have read many posts from folks that were unsuccessful with Greenman’s jar
generator, although the concept is sound.

Here’s an archive of an alternative that I have found to be easy to setup and effective.

Yep, this thing’s the cat’s meow. Just fired the gen. up and it sure is great. Gives off a
bluish-purple hue, a little bit of a buzz and a fresh odor like you’re at a waterfall. Very nice subtle
smell of ozone – I will put it on a timer.


I used a free 7500V neon transformer that a sign vendor gave me, got some scrap (but new) alum.
window screen, an 8′ 18/3 cord with a male plug, some wood screws, a cheap 3 1/2
X 5″ piece of glass from a cheapo photo frame, and got after it. Total cost, about $6.

Mounted the transformer using its base mounts to a 4″ X 17″ X 3/4″ plywood board, attached the
18/3 wire cord to the primary side of the transformer including the ground wire for safety.

Cut two screens about 3/8″ smaller than the outside dimensions of the glass. I then folded one
corner over, punched a hole with an ice pick through the corner and threaded some wire through
the hole so it would be easy to solder. I soldered the wire leads to the corner of the precut screens
using a little flux for prepping, a heavy duty solder iron, and regular electronic solder. Be sure the
wire is twisted tightly so that a positive solder connection can be made. After the wires were
affixed to the screens, I mounted them to the plate glass, one on each side, using a hot glue gun
with about a drop at each corner of the screen.

Mounted the plate glass (using the glue gun) in a groove (which I cut with a table saw) directly in
front of the mounted transformer, and connected the screen wire leads to the secondary side of the

As an aside, had a problem with the glue sticking to the glass initially, so I chemically frosted off the
“gloss” by using etching solution found at hobby stores. You should do this or the vibration from the
plates will be such that the glue will not hold. Also, found that “Goop” glue with a hot glue gun
worked the best after frosting the glass. Silicon cement should also work well.